Subject: RE: [xri-editors] feedback on k - Self References

Drummond-

OK, this is a little clearer. I was getting some concepts confused I think.

Let me respond inline.

> session to drill through examples. I'm getting together in person with
> Dave M on Thursday at least an hour before the 3pm Editor's
> call - maybe
> then?

Yeah, we can do that.

> 1) When the cross-reference is the top-level authority segment, e.g.,
> xri:(urn:abc:123/456):2:3:45.
>
> 2) When the cross-reference is the ENTIRE XRI, e.g.,
> xri:(urn:abc:123/456)

> Case #2 is simply case #1 with no additional delegation below
> the global
> cross-reference. This form of a cross-reference is thus a
> self-reference
> because it doesn't refer to any other resource representation - it IS
> the resource representation.

OK, I get the first sentence here (and I see how the BNF supports it), losing me on the second.

questions:

1) "self-reference" is a subclass of "cross-reference"? That is, all self-references are a special form of cross reference? Does this also mean that "self references" are a specialized form (semantically) of cross references?

2) I get what you mean by saying that the identifier *is* the resource representation (its also, basically, the resource itself). What I don't get (still) is how this relates to the concept of "self-reference". Seems more like we should call this "self-representation" or something. Ugh. I don't know. See below

> As for the relative cross-reference syntax, the example I gave of
> xri:=(.John.Doe) is not a self-reference. It's a cross-reference under
> the "=" space. A self-reference would be xri:(=(.John.Doe)).

OK, that was confusing - i thought they were the same thing. My question about =(.John.Doe) still stands, but its unrelated to self references then, I guess.

> Does that answer your question?

Answers the self reference question, not the =(.John.Doe) question.

	-Gabe