Subject: RE: [xri-editors] Relative cross-references

Here's one concern about allowing spaces in XRIs. IE provides an
extensibility mechanism for URIs it doesn't natively understand. You can
register a handler and IE will pass control to that handler when it needs to
resolve an identifier. If the user types @example into the navigation bar,
for example, your code can take over and resolve that as an XRI.
Unfortunately, if an identifier contains spaces IE (or at least many
versions of IE) assumes it can't possibly be a URI, skips the registered
handlers and sends the string directly to a search engine for processing.
Maybe this behavior will change when IRIs are more widely deployed, but for
now spaces aren't handled well by the most widely used URI processor.

Dave

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xri-editors/members/leave_workg
roup.php.