Subject: RE: [xri-editors] Relative cross-references

No wonder: IE is an URI application, and URI does not permit SP.
(Actually, if the scheme is known, and host part is valid, then IE seems
 substitute SP to %20 and goes on.)
However, I think this is a separate issue. The spec clearly states that

before handing to URI application, it has to escape the XRI to
URI form. The new spec should not be constrained by the current
implementations.

By the way, have you tried to pass double bytes characters to
the handler?

Nat