Subject: XRIs and canonical form

I've been asked to draft text specifying a "canonical form" for XRIs. I
wanted to start by understanding what canonical form meant for URIs in
general, and in searching the web I came across the following exchange. The
initial question is from Terence Spielman of Visa, followed by Gabe's and my

Dave