Subject: Reviewing RC1c

Editors:

<rant> I can barely WAIT to get this spec passed so I can get my ^%$#@
weekends back!!</rant>

Okay, now that I have that rant off my chest, here's the scoop on RC1c.
It is all DONE and ready to be turned into RC2 as soon as the Editors
have reviewed it. Here's a quick summary:

* First, RC1c tracks all changes since RC1, so you don't have to worry
about RC1a and RC1b (several of the proposed changes in RC1b got
scrapped anyway).

* The two biggest changes were a) removing Appendix B in favor of the
new XRI Metadata Specification (and all the attendant changes necessary
to support this), and b) adding a Canonicalization section to 2.4
(thanks to Dave for drafting the text for this).

* Note that I also folded what was Appendix D into the Resolution spec
since it didn't stand alone nearly as well with Appendix B gone.

* Also note that while $l and $f are no longer mentioned directly in
this Spec (because they will be in the XRI Metadata Spec), they are
still covered from the standpoint of equivalence. See the new section
2.2.4.2.

* To support these larger changes, though, a number of other changes
were made, including several new glossary entries and some new (short)
subsections in Section 3.

* To make it easy to review, I've marked every substantial change
(anything more than just updating or improving wording) with comments.
So the fastest way to review RC1c is to just open the comments window
and then use the buttons on the Reviewing toolbar to jump from comment
to comment. (If you want to see EVERY change, use the buttons on the
Reviewing toolbar to jump from revision to revision. Note, however, that
some comments are not about revisions, so you still have to review all
the comments.)

* Of the 37 comments, 2 are TO DOs - one for Dave and one for Gabe.
Please look at these and send the Editors list email on each (they are
specific requests for you to review a technical point in your text). The
rest of the comments are just to explain the changes I made (and are
intended to stay in RC2 after this editing round to explain to any other
TC members the key changes from RC1.)

ACTION ITEMS FOR EDITORS:

1) Review at least the comments in RC1c as soon as you can - ideally by
COB Monday. You can either a) send minor feedback or revisions (citing
section or line numbers) in email to the Editor's list, or b) after
ACCEPTING ALL CHANGES and turning TRACK CHANGES ON, make revisions in
RC1c directly and send them to me.

2) I'd like to follow up with an Editor's phone call tomorrow (Tuesday)
morning to settle any final questions or issues with RC1c (hopefully
after looking at any feedback you have). Then I will post RC2 by COB
Tuesday (as I have to be on a plane to D.C. on Wednesday).

Dave or Gabe, can you set up this call? Right now I'm very flexible on
Tuesday, so pick the time that works for you.

Thanks all,

=Drummond