Subject: RE: [xri-editors] PLEASE PROOF: [xri-editors] Groups - xri-syntax-resolution-1.0-cd-PROOF.doc

Jamie,

We had this very question about the vote - whether any final editorial
changes (including things as simple as typo corrections) could be made
by the editors after the vote or not. We specifically worded the ballot
to allow that but it sounds like that may not be kosher with OASIS
process.

I agree with Gabe, and have already talked with the Chair of the XRI
Editor's SC, Dave McAlpin, who also agrees that we'll just do another
vote.

But we still need our OASIS reference questions answered so we can lock
the document for the vote. I note that we looked at the TC Process
documents for guidance about Committee Drafts in this respect and didn't
find anything about this subject of final changes at all, even though
based on our experience this must be a scenario every TC goes through.
Can I suggest that OASIS produce a document that specifically addresses
the process for producing a finished Committee Draft? Questions
addressed in this document should include:

* Naming conventions, and how to deal with them up until the FINAL "cd"
draft.

* Errata document references (specifically, the questions in the email I
sent on 12/23 to Karl about how to include a reference to this doc when
one doesn't exist yet).

* How to handle references to other related TC documents (such as a
primer, or conformance specs, or other related specs) esp. when they are
planned and not actual yet.

* How to handle Acknowledgements.

* How to handle Revision History (what levels of changes to record and
when).

* How/when to obtain an OASIS persistent identifier for the document.

* How/when/if to publish the spec in multiple formats (Word, PDF, HTML,
DocBook).

* Who to notify about the vote, the posting, etc.

* How and when to get a link to the final spec added to the TC home
page.

Like the final finishing details on a new house, the process of
finishing a Committee Draft is actually much more difficult and labor
intensive than it looks. It would really help to have a guidance
document devoted just to this step (and potentially including all the
subsequent document processing steps to advance to an OASIS Standard).

Thanks for your help,

=Drummond