Subject: Re: [xri-editors] PLEASE PROOF: [xri-editors] Groups - xri-syntax-resolution-1.0-cd-PROOF.doc

Drummond:

This is a long list of questions, so it's taken me a while to get to a
reply. Some of this is answered in the TC Guidelines document at
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/guidelines.php but other parts are
things that we haven't figured out yet or haven't built a solution for yet.

> But we still need our OASIS reference questions answered so we can lock
> the document for the vote. I note that we looked at the TC Process
> documents for guidance about Committee Drafts in this respect and didn't
> find anything about this subject of final changes at all, even though
> based on our experience this must be a scenario every TC goes through.
> Can I suggest that OASIS produce a document that specifically addresses
> the process for producing a finished Committee Draft? Questions
> addressed in this document should include:
>
> * Naming conventions, and how to deal with them up until the FINAL "cd"
> draft.

There's a final draft of a naming scheme at
http://www.oasis-open.org/spectools/docs/chairs-filenaming-02.html (link
from near bottom of the SpecTools page at
http://www.oasis-open.org/spectools/index.php). This is not yet official
or enforced, but I would recommend that you use it because something
close to this is likely to be approved and enforced soon.

> * Errata document references (specifically, the questions in the email I
> sent on 12/23 to Karl about how to include a reference to this doc when
> one doesn't exist yet).

My answer yesterday was to refer to an empty document and add content as
you go.

> * How to handle references to other related TC documents (such as a
> primer, or conformance specs, or other related specs) esp. when they are
> planned and not actual yet.

We don't yet have a policy for Normative References (referring to a doc
outside of OASIS) but are working on this. But I don't think that's what
you're asking. As with the errata doc above, I would suggest creating an
empty document, linking top that, and adding content over time. This
assumes, of course, that the target document has a persistent name
and.or URL, which is entirely another matter.

> * How to handle Acknowledgements.

The official specification document templates (see
http://www.oasis-open.org/spectools/index.php) have an Ackowledgements
section -- the first appendix, I believe. You must use these templates
for your specs.

> * How to handle Revision History (what levels of changes to record and
> when).

It's up to the TC to figure out what's a major vs. minor rev. The rev
level should be reflected in the filename, following the file naming
scheme I referenced above.

> * How/when to obtain an OASIS persistent identifier for the document.

Select the file's permanent name (as above), then send a request to
webmaster@oasis-open.org to create a redirect that will link to the
latest version of the file in the doc repository. Whenever you check a
new version of the file into the repository you'll have to ask the
webmaster to update the redirect.

> * How/when/if to publish the spec in multiple formats (Word, PDF, HTML,
> DocBook).

The approved templates (above) are provided in multiple formats. Take
your pick. There will soon be a policy that TCs must provide both source
(XML, HTML, Word, etc) as well as compiled (PDF) versions for archive;
there's a number of docs that we may not have source for.

> * Who to notify about the vote, the posting, etc.

The TC Process requires that the TC Admin (Jamie and I) be notified when
the TC conducts a vote to approve a Committee Draft. Otherwise it's up
to the TC to keep the lkatest version of the doc posted in the repository.

> * How and when to get a link to the final spec added to the TC home
> page.

If by "final spec" you mean an approved OASIS Standard, I'll take care
of adding links to the OASIS home page etc. For the TC to add to your
page, you just submit the docs into the repository then they'll
automatically appear at
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/documents.php?wg_abbrev=xri

-Karl