Subject: RE: [xri-editors] Important new XRID issue

Gabe,

My bad. What I meant was that we wanted two different types of XRI
*authorities* (I keep saying "resolver" when I mean "authority"): one that
answers i-number resolution requests and one that answers i-name resolution
requests. But right now an XRID only provides a "XRIAuthority/URI" element.
An XRI authority could provide two URIs, one intended for i-number
resolution and one for i-name resolution, but how is the resolver code
supposed to know which one to use for what?

Is that clearer? If not, call me and let's discuss via voice. It's a pretty
simple requirement but neither Peter or I saw a way to support it w/o adding
just a tiny bit of semantics to the XRID.

=Drummond

-----Original Message-----
From: Wachob, Gabe [mailto:gwachob@visa.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 9:27 AM
To: Drummond Reed; xri-editors@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: Victor Grey; Fen Labalme

Drummond-
	I don't understand why you need a special feature. Why don't you
just have one resolver that does i-numbers and one doing i-names and the
result of subsegment resolution for a top-level i-number subsegment
points to a resolver that is tuned for i-number resolution and the
result of subsegment resolution for a top-level subsegment points to a
resolver that is tuned for i-name resolution.

	Why do you need two different resolvers based on the "next
subsegment"? This seems to totally break the architecture that we've
been talking about since XRI 1.0...

	-Gabe