Subject: Re: [xri-editors] Important new XRID issue

On Thursday 10 February 2005 01:00 pm, Dave McAlpin wrote:
> I'm not positive I understand the issue, but it sounds like if you have
> xri://=foo and xri://=!123, you'd like two different endpoints for =,
> one to answer for *foo (and other reassignable subsegments) and one to
> answer for !123 (and other persistent subsegments). Is that right?

yes. this is correct.

> If it
> is, it's just one of an infinite number of special cases. What if I want
> one authority for even numbers and one for odd numbers? Or one for
> reassignable subsegments that start with "a", one for "b" etc.

no, this is not a 'special case'.  this is suggestion for optimizations of
resolution.  in order to be usefull, resolution of XRI's must have resolution
performace characteristics on par with the DNS.  The primary issue here is
'special' in so much as the root of a namespace always has some 'special'
considerations, driven by performace.  The GCS char's lack an internal
delegation tool within the resolution spec.

there is implied delegation (i think) in =* vs =!, and we could use that.  but
an XRID does not allow that expression.

> The right approach, I think, is to have a single authority definition
> and just redirect on the server side to the appropriate network endpoint
> based on your particular rules.

HTTP redirect does not scale properly at a heavily utilized root, and
introduces unnecessary additional overhead to the resolver.  perhaps, through
Layer5 load balancing (inspection of the request URI), can make the
optimizations we need, but it seems to me better to consider this in the spec
at least (heck, there are a dozen ways to solve this... one of which is to
accommodate it in XRI2.0)

--- peterd