Subject: RE: [xri-editors] Important new XRID issue

Since I'd been offline at a meeting while this thread was going, I'm joining
late. To prevent email churn, I first called Gabe to discuss and then Dave
(at Gabe's recommendation) to get their perspectives.

A few notes/suggestions:

1) First, on clarifying the issue/requirement. In current XRID architecture,
same XRI Authority resolves requests for "*..." and "!..." at the same set
of URIs. The issue was that an XRI authority may desire to optimize
resolution to establish different sets of URIs for "*..." resolution vs.
"!..." resolution. XDI.ORG is an example of such an authority that was
planning to do just that and has specified that behavior in its draft Global
Services Specifications (http://gss.xdi.org/moin.cgi/GssOpSpecs).

2) I agree that this is primarily a scale issue. That's why those of us
involved with the XDI.ORG Global Services Specifications are bringing up the
issue. (I only wish we had caught it earlier.)

3) I strongly disagree with the argument that there are other XRI
characteristics that could equally qualify for such treatment. Only the *
segment vs. ! segment distinction is recognized in XRI syntax. My personal
opinion is that the different charteristics of persistent vs. reassignable
identifiers is a strong argument that an XRI authority should have the
option (but not the requirement) to declare different resolution URIs for *
vs. ! segments.

4) Yes, it could be handled by extensions, but I agree with Peter that with
this issue that's a poor substitute for handling it in the XRID where it
will lead to consistent behaviour and better performance for all concerned
(resolvers, developers, users, registries).

5) If we push this off to a future version of the Res spec, it raises a
different issue that we can't put off: giving the XRID a version identifier.
Dave and I talked about this and he is going to propose something based on
what SAML 2.0 did.

We agreed to try to close on this topic on the Editor's call tomorrow.

=Drummond