xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] Minutes of 9 January 2003 XRI TC

At 08:30 PM 1/12/2003 -0800, Lindelsee, Mike wrote:
Everyone, please review these minutes at your earliest convenience for
accuracy and ACTION items.  Please report errors by replying to this
message.

    Hi Mike, thanks for doing the minutes.
    I was the one who raised the question of whether RF policy, which appears in some prior XRI docs and seems to be the intent of most  initiators, also should be added to the charter.
    The draft minutes note Karl Best's observation that many TCs rely wholly on the OASIS IPR polices, which permit RAND, but omit the next point discussed, i.e., that several that  have successfully adopted stricter rules.   Incorporation of RAND-limited tech may be appropriate in some standards -- that's a hot issue in our industry right now, and one I do not propose to solve here.  But I am fairly sure that, in our case, the KM resource discovery scheme XRI contemplates must be wholly free of IPR  restrictions to be successfully deployed.
    As we deferred charter approval, I will move to amend a RF requirement into the charter when it comes back to the agenda.
    Regards    Jamie