xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] [Fwd: Re: Clarifying what a URL identifies (Four Uses o f aURL)]

Wachob, Gabe wrote:
<snip/>

> Definitely a fascinating line of thought that dovetails in some ways with
> our motivations. Specifically, relative to this document, I think we'd
> describe the XRI effort as a "name indicates meaning" approach to
> identifying real world resources.
 > <snip/>

So, to (somewhat) encapsulate the URI thread w/the TAG presently, I
conclude the following:

URI's are references, which take additional meaning based on the use of
the reference (eg: xml namespace of xsi describing my car vs an
identifier of my car vs my BLOG homepage which contains (a fragement)
reference to my car).

So, not only does a URI, generally have metadata regardless of the
context of the use of the reference, it also has additional metadata
which describes a particular instance of the reference.

If there is agreement on this interpretation, then might i suggest
adding the following to the 3rd requirement (metadata) in the draft req's:

"Allow for unique, dereferencable representations of metadata in context
with the citation of a URI"

RDF-like URI's may already accomodate for this..I'll have to look more
deeply there, however.

--
--- peterd
Sr Security Architect

<Quote type="random">
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
<Author>Stephen Wright</Author>
</Quote>

PGP Fingerprint:
8994 8774 B682 3A04 B304  C4A2 D9DD 7E5B 8AAC 2D00