xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Top Ten XRI Requirements

Hi Peter,

Maybe I'm miss-interpreting this but "delegation" does not imply
"hierarchy" but just a directed graph (from which a tree is a notorious
example). Interpreted like this I'm fine with the text.

Xavier.

--
Xavier Serret.     Tel  +33 44236 4543
Corporate R&D Strategy @ Gemplus

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter C Davis [mailto:peter.davis@neustar.biz]
Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 5:50 PM
To: Drummond Reed
Cc: 'xri@lists.oasis-open.org'

Drummond Reed wrote:
<snip/>
> 5) Peer-to-peer: the ability for any resource to serve as its own root
> identifier authority (i.e., no centralized or absolute authority
required).

> 6) Unlimited federation: the ability for identifier authority to be
> delegated to any depth.
>
> 7) Context addressability: the ability for a resource to be identified in
> the context of another resource.
><snip/>

I am not certain that the "federation" decsription is quite in line with
the industries (recent) understanding of the term. Here, as stated, it
implies a heirarchical relationship, but federations (as defined in my
mind based on the Liberty Alliance activities and working definitions),
is more closely related to peer-to-peer.  that si to say:

Unlimited Federation: allows for the identifier authority to construct
arbitrary associations with other authorities identifiers.

I think this is more consitant with want is reflected, then, in items 5
and 7

--
--- peterd
Sr Security Architect

<Quote type="random">
Touch a scientist and you touch a child.
<Author>Ray Bradbury</Author>
</Quote>

PGP Fingerprint:
8994 8774 B682 3A04 B304  C4A2 D9DD 7E5B 8AAC 2D00