xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] [Glossary] Definition of "Resource" and "Attribute" (lo ng)

Mike (and Gabe before him): good stuff. The main reason I sent that opening
salvo was to help folks realize how large an impact to the whole effort even
small issues with these core terms have.

The second reason is that, while it might seem like the term "attribute" may
not be that important, in my experience with both XNS and Liberty, it ends
out being very important - almost as important as "resource". Being able to
unambiguously and persistently reference an attribute in the context of a
specific resource is critical when it comes to security, digital identity,
DRM, and many other applications of XRIs.

That said, I agree with you, Gabe, and Bernard that we should just stick
with the URI spec definition of resource as "anything that has identity" and
not try to define it further. It's not worth splitting hairs over whether
simple attributes actually have identity outside of the resource that they
describe.

I think your definition of attribute as " data, metadata or other resources
associated with a resource" is pretty close to the mark but the words
"associated with a resource" don't quite fully distinguish the two things I
think are most important about attributes vs. resources:

1) Attributes are always relative, i.e., they only exist in the context of a
specific resource, and
2) A special kind of attribute - an identifier - exists for the special
purpose of forming an association with ANOTHER resource (that's our
definition of identifier).

To capture these two nuances, here's a modification to your proposed
definition of "attribute":

	Data, metadata or other resources that describe a specific resource.
Attributes are always relative to the resource they describe. Identifiers
are an attribute of one resource whose purpose is to form an association
with another resource.

How's that work?

=Drummond