xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] [Glossary] Definition of \"Resource\" and \"Attribute\"

Xavier,

You're absolutely right. I've added your UML definitions of Aggregation and
Composition to the definition of Attribute. I think it helps harden it
nicely.

=Drummond

-----Original Message-----
From: xavier serret [mailto:Xavier.SERRET@gemplus.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2003 4:02 AM
To: Wachob, Gabe; xri@lists.oasis-open.org; Drummond Reed

Yes,

This is in fact a very old topic, which I guess was first formally
introduced with database relational model.

Getting to something more recent, I would like to introduce the idea of
part and whole, which is UML way to address this issue.

We have to formal relationship specialization in UML to address this
relationship:
Aggregation & Composition:
Aggregation:
A form of association that represents a whole-part relationship between an
aggregate (the whole) and the constituent part.
Composition:
A form of aggregation with strong relationship and coincident lifetime
parts with the whole. A part may belong only to one composite.

The whole is an object that has "independent" existence.
Normally, you can always commute a composition relationship for a class
attribute. In UML this is normally just a design-time tradeoff.

So I would state following this rationale, that an attribute is a part of
a resource, which does not have existence by itself.

So ... I would say that UML backs Drummond's proposal!

Xavier.

--
Xavier Serret.     Tel  +33 44236 4543
Corporate R&D Strategy @ Gemplus