xri message

Subject: No Subject

In particular when it comes to synchronization of data identified with
XRIs (which will be a major feature of the XDI work ahead), version
metadata is simple essential. Which I think may illustrate why there may
be a difference between the importance of version syntax in XRIs vs. the
TAG conclusion re versioning in URIs in general.

I understand the TAG's position as I agree that iw would be very
difficult if not impossible to standardize a syntax for all versioning,
period. There are simply too many approaches. It would be a little like
trying to cram all features of all word processors and desktop
publishing systems everywhere into HTML. Forget it, it's too big a job.

So instead HTML applied the 80/20 rule and just included the basic text
formats that were used in the vast majority of documents - heads,
bulleted lists, numbered lists, etc. And by creating a simple standard
markup language that included these most common text formatting
features, look at the incredible impact HTML had.

So I would submit that by doing the same for version metadata in
identifiers, i.e., applying the 80/20 rule and providing a basic syntax
for versioning with a few widely used defaults formats (datetime,
numberpath, and textpath), we can do for the broad usefulness of XRIs
what HTML did for the broad usefulness of the Web. (And of course by
making this versioning syntax extensible, we'll get the advantages of
XML over HTML right from the start.)

=3DDrummond=20