xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] cross-reference-based version proposal

Actually, your desire is our intent, I think.

The idea is that +version/cvs is actually (potentially) a resolvable xri in and of itself. So you could try to resolve it to discover info about it.

Also, we discussed (though I did not mention it) the ability to "locally extend" the types of versions in much the way you propose. Remember that cross references can include references to any URI (the use of +, =, @ is a special short-cut case for XRI URIs):

xri://naming.authority/local/name/(+version/(urn:version-authority:dottedalphanum)/1.2a

Now, this starts to get painfully long and verbose, but it does work, IMHO. We are really starting to get into the area of sticking metadata (and even metadata about metadata) into URIs, and i don't think thats ever going to *look* pretty. But in this case, looking ugly is not neccesarily a problem.

	-Gabe