xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] versioning of authirity section [Issue 5]

I am copying my personal message to Gabe to draw a little bit of
attention to the internationalization aspect of XRI on the list.

Here it is.
---------
Sorry to come in so late. As to the equivalence is concerned, in my
personal view, real equivalence can only be established after the all
the resolution and data acquiring were done. Perhaps establishing the
equivalence at the URI level is not needed so much nor possible at all.

'"Syntactic character-by-character equivalence" (usually with some
ignorance of case for domain names)' looks good on the surface, but is
not that trivial under internationalization. The tricky part is the case
ignorance part. If we accept case ignorance for equivalence, should be
accept width-ignorance (half width characters and full width
characters)? Perhaps, you say no, but then what happens if that was
written on a sheet of paper. Are they half width or full width? It
should be pretty difficult to tell.

Nat
-----Original Message-----
From: Wachob, Gabe [mailto:gwachob@visa.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 4:48 AM
To: OASIS XRI

More specifically, I have several open questions and points w/r/t
versioning naming authorities:

1) What implication does this have for equivalence rules? (not specific
to versions-in-the-naming-authority) That is, are two URIs with
different version tags (or one with a version tag and one without)
*ever* equivalent? URI schemes should specify equivalence rules -
generally the default is "syntactic character-by-character equivalence"
(usually with some ignorance of case for domain names)