xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] FW: [Discuss-DOI] Announcement: The "info" URI scheme

Drummond

>>To the extent that the "info:" scheme increases the size of
>>the URI space, it is a good thing for the XRI space too,
>>because anything that has a URI can have an XRI by definition.

I'm glad we share the vision for a more inclusive web.

>>From my brief look, "info:" doesn't appear to address any of
>>the features of the XRI spec, i.e., unlimited delegation,
>>persistence, cross-references, self-references (non-resolvability),
>>global context symbols, or internationalization.
>>
>>Am I correct?

Pretty much.

"info:" doesn't address delegation (many namespaces in the library community
have a centralized identifier assignment model, but info doesn't care about
how the identifiers are created or administered), we are making no
assertions about persistence, or internationalization (although someone has
suggested that we make it more IRI friendly). The  only real feature of
"info:" from a users perspective is that these identifiers can be
transported as URIs - that is all the scheme is doing: getting these
identifiers, that exist, onto the web so we can use them in applications
that mandate use of URIs but do not require any particular functionality of
the URI.

A lot of misinformation already been produced on slashdot (and to a lesser
extent #rdfig). We are probably not going to tackle every wrong assertion
made about "info:", but some of those that have tickled me so far include:
the notion that anyone can register a namespace under "info:", the notion
that there is some cost associated with registering these public namespaces,
the notion that this provides some magical answer to searchability for those
things that are identified, the notion that the registry already exists
(Mealling got confused with another registry being setup for a different
purpose), to name but a few. It's amazing what a little speculation and lack
of reading can produce!

Regards

Eamonn

Eamonn Neylon