xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Problem with XRI 1.0 syntax

Fen-
	If we are going to rely on "user surveys" to guide our decisionmaking, those user surveys have to be documented in this TC. We just can't base our decisions solely on the assertion that a user survey declared a character unfriendly. We have to make an evaluation as a TC about whether the user survey conducted is valid and has enough weight to influence our decision one way or another.
	I *am* interested in hearing about this user survey, because we don't want to create problems for ourselves needlessly. But I think there are a number of us who feel that ! is functionally much easier character to use than * and do not see any negative connotation with it.
	THANKS

	-Gabe

gwachob@visa.com
Chief Systems Architect
Technology Strategies and Standards
Visa International
Phone: +1.650.432.3696   Fax: +1.650.554.6817

-----Original Message-----
From: Fen Labalme [mailto:fen@idcommons.org]
Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2004 12:25 AM
To: Drummond Reed
Cc: xri@lists.oasis-open.org

Drummond Reed wrote:
> Given that we already have defined roles for many of these reserved
> characters, our available choices for the second level separator are:
>
>       "&"   "'"   "*"   ","   ";"
>
> The other possiblity is to reassign a currently used character, such as
> the GCS character for annotations, "!".

"'" is too confusing
"," is too easily mistaken as a '.' (dot)
";" is too easily mistaken as a ":" (colon)
"!" is already used for annotations and (according to a user survey) has
bad (negative) connotations

That leaves "&" and "*".  Personally, I like splat ("*") as it's
eye-catching, which is what it should be given its importance.  Also, as
"&" is used in fragments, "*" may be less confusing, too.

My $0.02,
Fen