xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Problem with XRI 1.0 syntax

Title: RE: [xri] Problem with XRI 1.0 syntax
For what it's worth, an informal survey inside Epok indicated good support for bang ("!") as a drop-in replacement for dot ("."), but low support for the replacement to serve as the sole second level separator. In other words, xri:@epok!dave.mcalpin is fine, but xri:@:1!:2!:3 (or xri:@:1*:2*:3, or whatever) doesn't have a lot of backers. The strong preference is to continue to use xri:@:1:2:3.

This is somewhat of a side issue I didn't address in my original mail, but there has been some discussion about making the replacement for dot be the one and only second-level separator, as opposed to the two second level separators we have now (dot "." and colon ":"). I'll let someone else make the argument in favor of consolidating on a single separator since to me it just makes the identifier unnecessarily cluttered.

Dave

From: Drummond Reed [mailto:drummond.reed@cordance.net]
Sent: Thu 6/3/2004 6:05 PM
To: xri@lists.oasis-open.org

I agree that the larger a real sampling of users from which objective
feedback can be gathered, the better the data.

Since a number of us will be with a large number of "new initiates" to XRIs
and e-names at the PlaNetwork conference this weekend (www.planetwork.net),
we should be able to do a pretty fair sampling there.

I'd suggest all of us from the XRI TC that will be there organize this and
document it fully.

=Drummond