xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] RE: Single delegation character

I understand that you have attached additional semantics to
the identifiers beyond the scope of the XRI TC, and it's why
you're reluctant to ask users if they prefer a syntax
that they may be more familiar with.

Another example of the problems associated with encoding
semantics into identifiers.

One could argue that XRI is here because of the
semantics embedded within existing identifier systems,
and it's why I'm fairly sensitive about keeping them to
an absolute minimum within the XRI TC.

=Loren

-----Original Message-----
From: Fen Labalme [mailto:fen@idcommons.org]
Sent: Friday, June 04, 2004 5:12 PM
To: Loren West
Cc: xri@lists.oasis-open.org

Yes, I agree that @idcommons/fen and @idcommons*fen could be defined to
be equivalent, but we have a real reason that we want then to be
different.  The ability to explicitly state that @idcommons*fen is an
authority delegated to fen and @idcommons/fen is stuff @idcommons knows
about fen enables a useful differentiation.

This still leaves the door open for some communities to define that
e.g., @epok/loren defines an authority loren delegated by epok, but
that's a choice up to the community.  I'd rather not make it in the syntax.

Fen

OASIS TC), go to
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xri/members/leave_workgroup.php
.