xri message

Subject: Report on PlaNetwork poll on * and !

Per Gabe's process proposal below, this message provides more feedback about
the about candidates for the new delegation character.

First, to reinterate Gabe's point about why we're focusing on "*" and "!",
the reason is that under the reserved chars available under RFC2396bisv6,
our only other choices (that aren't already used in XRI 1.0) are "&", "'",
",", and ";". (Note that "!" is already used in XRI 1.0 as the GCS
annotation character, but it would be switched with another character if we
made it the delegation char. "*" is also used as a GCS char in XRI 1.0 but
in a manner that could be consistent with it becoming the new delegation
char.)

"'", ",", and ";" are all undesirable primarily because they are not
visually distinctive enough (they are too easily confused with dots or
colons). "&" is undesirable because it is hard to write and say. That leaves
us with "*" or reclassifying "!".

As discussed on the list last week, we took a poll at the session on e-names
held last Saturady at the PlaNetwork Conference June 5/6 in San Fransisco
(www.planetwork.net). The XRI TC members attending this session included
myself, Gabe Wachob, Fen Labalme, Owen Davis, Victor Grey, Marc Le Maitre,
and Peter Davis. The session was very well attended (roughly 55 people,
including Esther Dyson), and the audience very interested in e-names and
their future. (One audience member said, "This is like defining the
telephone number of the future!")

As early in the session as was feasible, after we had covered the basics of
e-names, we displayed identical examples of e-name syntax using * and ! as
the delegation characters and took two polls. In the first poll, we asked
only those who were new to e-names and XRIs (and thus "unwashed" and better
representing average user) to vote. The outcome was:

26 favored *
13 favored !

In the second poll, where everyone voted, the totals were:

36 favored *
16 favored !

(In case you're interested, Esther Dyson voted for *.)

Lastly, in answer to a question about what other characters were considered,
we explained the options, and then asked how many would prefer & to either *
or !. 8 people raised their hands.

=Drummond