xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] RE: Single delegation character

Thank you for clarifying the fact that we're only talking about
the XRI-Authority part of the XRI.  It has helped this thread
get back to it's original topic.

The original topic had to do with dropping the ":" as a
sub-segment separator, and replacing it with "*:".

I'm not a proponent of that change.  Maybe because I don't
understand the benefit of a single separator, but mostly
because it adds clutter to MFIs.

=Loren

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave McAlpin [mailto:Dave.McAlpin@epok.net]
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2004 10:49 AM
To: Drummond Reed; xri@lists.oasis-open.org

After discussing this with Drummond last night, it's clear that I've
done a poor job explaining my understanding of this issue. I think
Drummond and I reached consensus, so I'll give it one more shot here.

First, I think the concept of "delegation" has almost no role if you're
only talking about syntax. Delegation is only meaningful in the context
of either resolution or local access. In pure XRI syntax, all we're
talking about is successive levels of hierarchy.

In a conventional URI, the slash ("/") character denotes hierarchy. If
the URI contains an authority component, one important hierarchy is
between the authority and the remainder of the path. For example, in
http://www.example.com/foo, we can identify two hierarchical elements -
the authority (www.example.com) and the path (/foo). In a URI like
http://www.example.com/foo/bar, the path component (/foo/bar) is also
hierarchical, but that's pretty much all we can say about it. We can't
make any assumptions about delegation. (Incidentally, the only
assumption about delegation made by 2396bis is between the authority
component and the path, i.e. on the first slash. "Many URI schemes
include a hierarchical element for a naming authority, such that
governance of the name space defined by the remainder of the URI is
delegated to that authority (which may, in turn, delegate it further)."

In http://www.example.com/foo/bar, the authority component
(www.example.com) contains a second level of hierarchy delimited by dot
("."). (It's not entirely clear to me why dot is allowed to act as a
delimiter in the authority component by the current rules of 2396bis,
but that's a different problem.) Similarly, XRIs provide second level
delimiters in the xri-authority component via star ("*") and colon
(":"). For example, in xri:@example*foo/bar, we have first level
hierarchy between the xri-authority (@example*foo) and the path (/bar),
and second level hierarchy within the xri-authority (between @ and
example and between example and foo). Likewise with xri:@:1:2/foo, where
: acts as the second level delimiter.

In URIs, second level delimiters are defined only for special cases of
the authority component, specifically for IP addresses and domain names.
No second level delimiter is defined generally. XRIs, in contrast,
reserve star and colon as second level delimiters throughout the XRI.
For example, in xri:@:1:2/:3:4/:5:6, the first level of hierarchy is
denoted by the slash, with special consideration for the leftmost first
level element (the authority), and the second level of hierarchy within
each component delimited by slashes is denoted by the colon. In other
words, we can separate the above XRI into two logical components,
authority and path (@:1:2 and /:3:4/:5:6). We can divide the path into
two hierarchical elements, :3:4 and :5:6. We can further divide each of
those into two second-level hierarchical elements (:3 and :4, and :5 and
:6, respectively). At the generic syntax level that's all we can say,
with the possible exception of namespace delegation between the
authority and the rest of the path.

Now, if we consider standard resolution, we CAN say more about
delegation. Specifically we can say that in the authority component star
and colon imply delegation. That's _not_ because of some intrinsic
characteristic of star and colon, but rather because of the semantics
defined for those characters specifically for the authority component by
standard resolution. Note that in a different resolution protocol,
delegation might not be implied.

Similarly, local access protocols and/or local implementations can
define delegation semantics for either first or second level delimiters
in the path component, but that's outside the scope of the XRI spec. At
the syntax level as defined by the spec, these characters only denote
successive levels of hierarchy without respect to delegation.

Dave

are

@idcommons!fen