xri message

Subject: * and / discussion

[Note: I changed the subject line because this thread is much more focused.
=Drummond]

Gabe, I agree that it's syntactic rules we're talking about, which is why I
put "semantics" in quotes.

In terms of "chunking", or more technically, "segmentation", it seems like
there are two approaches we can take.

1) Keep the current 1.0 segmentation hierarchy, i.e., divide XRIs into slash
segments first, then divide slash segments into star subsegments (or star
and colon subsegments).

2) Or, as I'm arguing, make it even simpler by just defining two syntactic
segment types - slash segments and star segments - and then let XRI
applications use them as they wish. In this approach, XRI resolution would
be one such application, and that application would define star segments
before the first slash to be authority delegation.

I don't understand what you mean by the following:

"But I *still* want the ability to chunk things together beyond the
authority - if we say / and * are peers, then the only namespace-independent
chunking syntax we have is () -- ie cross references..."

If you want segmentation ability beyond the XRI authority segment, as the
XRI author you control this completely. You can use slash segments exactly
the way you say you'd like to, and treat star segments as subsegments inside
slash segments. Another authority could do exactly the opposite with their
XRI paths. Both would be syntactically legal and interoperable.

The point I'm arguing for is doing the simplest and most general thing. If
we just define the two segment types, then applications and XRI authors can
choose either model, rather than being constrained to the
slash-segment-and-dot/colon-subsegment model we have in XRI 1.0.

=Drummond