xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Issue 1: Clarifying * Semantics

Drummond,

My responses are inline, but you will see a common
thread in each of them.  To summarize, from a development
perspective, these perceived simplifications aren't
significant enough to warrant a change to the specification.

I understand how you see a single separator as a simplification,
and hope you can understand how I see ":" as a simplification
over "*:".  They're both "simpler", but one doesn't require
a change to the specification.

=Loren

*****
[Loren] - Yes, but it doubles the number of characters
needed to communicate what ":" currently communicates.
And I still haven't heard how this significantly
affects how the parser is written.

> 2) As Gabe's summary points out, it eliminates any
> special rules about "implied" reassignable decorators
> (currently leading dots) in segments. Instead, the
> rules would now be crystal clear: slashes and stars
> are separators; the presence of a colon after either
> one (or a GCS char) indicates the segment is a
> persistent identifier; the absence of a colon means
> the segment is a reassignable identifier.
*****
[Loren] - Agreed.  This is somewhat simpler.  But from
a development perspective, it's not significant.  If
something is implied, the code just changes a bit to
understand that condition.

> 3) The elimination of such special rules simplifies
> XRI normalization and comparison.
*****
[Loren] - Same as above.  It takes less time to write
the code that understands those situations than it has
to write this response.

> 4) This overall simplification of XRI construction
> also simplifies the development of XRI applications
> such as XDI.
******
[Loren] - Can you describe how the format of the identifier
simplifies the development of XRI applications such
as XDI?  As an actual developer of XRI applications, and a
prospective developer of XDI applications, I can't see
how this affects development one way or the other.