xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] Issue 1: Clarifying * Semantics

Loren -

Note that :12:34 would still be a legal persistent identifier, it just would
not imply a separation (or delegation) between two parts.  In other words, it
is similar to the identifier :12.34 (using the new semantics for dot as a
regular character).

In my strongly held opinion, if we are going to make any simplifications, they
should be aimed at making the semantics easier to understand and the human
friendly identifiers simpler and easier to read and (humanly) parse.  I
believe that is what this proposed simplification does.  If it does so at a
slight cost to the human readability of non-human (machine) friendly
identifiers, that's a good decision.

Fen