xri message

Subject: [no subject]

I don't want to confuse this change with the "." vs. "*"
change, where millions of users WILL see the difference.
That's a candidate for a backwardly incompatible change.

=3DLoren

-----Original Message-----
From: Fen Labalme [mailto:fen@idcommons.org]=20
Sent: Friday, July 09, 2004 12:17 AM
To: Loren West
Cc: xri@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: Re: [xri] Issue 1: Clarifying * Semantics

Loren -

While you are correct that it's all SMOP (a Small Matter of Programming) =
and

the differences we're talking about are somewhat minimal in regards to =
the=20
complexity of the parser, the one less rule makes it quite a bit easier =
for=20
the programmer *writing* the parser to understand things, and thus =
decreases

effort and mistakes.

It also makes it more likely that a human who happens to see a =
(HFI-based)
XRI=20
string has a chance to understand what it means.

This is important in the world of Identity Commons where we expect users =
to=20
see XRIs and, just like URLs, have some sort of grasp as to what they
convey.

Fen

Loren West wrote:
> I can easily say the parsing rules are equally simple, because as
> someone who knows the complexity of writing a parser, I know
> that the hard part isn't in the differences we're talking about
> on this thread.
>=20
> =3DLoren

To unsubscribe from this mailing list (and be removed from the roster of =
the
OASIS TC), go to
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xri/members/leave_workgroup.=
php