xri message

Subject: Moving Forward

The responses I've gotten to my question about "temperature" have indicated that those involved in the Issue #1 thread do not feel this is a show stopper, so its clear to me that we should have a vote on Issues 0 and 1 very soon and accept whatever results from those votes. Please consider this email a notice that such votes are opening within 5-8 business days.

In examining the remaining issues, both Drummond and I anticipate that the remaining issues will NOT stimulate such passionate discussion, and in some cases, may generate no discussion at all. While some of the issues may require somewhat non-trivial changes to the core specification, the decisions to move ahead (or not) with such changes should be fairly noncontroversial.

Towards that end, I would like everyone to examine the following list (copied from http://xrixdi.idcommons.net/moin.cgi/Xri1xIssuesList ) and speak up if there are any of these proposed changes that, based on the face of it, you would expect to oppose or have questions about. I'm not asking, at this point, to have everyone commit to a position - I'm merely trying to surface in advance any issues and get a rough estimate of how much deliberation we have in deciding whether these features are worthwhile pursuing in the process of drafting 1.1. If you aren't responding, I'm assuming that means that you don't have a position and you'll be happy with whatever TC consensus is.

XriChangeAuthority  - Make xri-authority be a 2396bis-style authority
XriChangeNewAbnf  - Change ABNF to incorporate changes in new drafts of 2396bis and IRI
XriChangeUriAuthorityResolution  - Make resolution of URI-Authority based XRIs more similar to XRI-Authority based XRIs
XriChangeProxiedResolution  - Explain proxied resolution and modify spec as needed
XriChangeLookAheadResolution  - Allow a resolution step to resolve multiple subsegments
XriChangeIncorporateErrata  - Incorporate proposed errata from 1.0 spec
XriChangeNormativeIriAnd2396bis  - Allow normative references to IRI and 2396bis

(There is also one more change proposal that Drummond is working on that he has not notified us of yet, but assures me should not be terribly controversial)

The "XRIChangeAuthority" proposal is the only remaining issue that materially affects syntax at this point (I don't think the bnf changes are substantive). Since Dave McAlpin, who is the author of this proposal, is temporarily out of reach on business, I suggest we hold off on discussion of that until he returns. Its a rather major change, and as such, would tend to face a significant hurdle for consenus. Of all the issues I would suspect this would initiate the most discussion in the XRI TC.

Several of the changes affect resolution - in particular the UriAuthorityResolution proposal affects how XRIs that have dns names for xri authorities are resolved. The other resolution topics I think would be adding "new features" and I would expect could be done in a backwards compatible way.

The last two issues seem like no-brainers.

We're going to spin up the Editor's Subcommittee to begin drafting these changes - that subcomittee will just have to make sure that we are tracking the XRI TC consensus on these issues. It may be that we can simply vote on a block of these proposed changes at once if nobody has any need to discuss them - that will be the quickest way to moving forward.

Needless to say, we are going to have a formal vote on the draft produced by the editor's subcommitee (members are invited to particpate in the drafting, of course!).

	-Gabe

gwachob@visa.com
Chief Systems Architect
Technology Strategies and Standards
Visa International
Phone: +1.650.432.3696   Fax: +1.650.554.6817