xri message

Subject: OASIS IPR Policy member review

XRI TC Members:

I'm forwarding the following note from Karl Best regarding the new draft
OASIS IPR Policy that is currently under member review.

Karl is requesting that all TCs discuss this with the goal of preparing for
the vote that will be necessary under the new policy to transition each TC
to an official "IPR mode". As you will see in the review of the draft
policy, the modes are "RAND" (Reasonable and Non-Discriminatory Licensing),
Unrestricted RF (Royalty-Free), and Restricted RF. The difference between
Unrestricted RF and Restricted RF is that Unrestricted RF says the IPR
holder may not charger royalties but does not have any other restrictions on
requiring negotiation of other licensing terms. Restricted RF means the IPR
holder can neither charge royalties nor require negotiation of any other
licensing terms.

(Note: My personal feedback to Karl and the IPR Policy Working Group is that
the names of the two RF modes are terribly confusing - hopefully they will
change them to something much more intuitive like "Limited RF" and
"Unlimited RF". If you want to send your own feedback on this issue, send it
to ipr-member-review@lists.oasis-open.org.)

Since the XRI TC has already declared an RF mode in our charter, we will
automatically be converted to what is currently called "Unrestricted RF"
mode. We will then need to vote on whether we wanted to stay at this mode or
convert to what is currently called "Restricted RF" mode.

Although the new IPR Policy has yet to be confirmed, that is expected soon,
so I urge all TC members to review the new policy and confirm that they are
clear in terms of the IPR mode choices.

Also, all individual members, of which we have several, should review the
new policy closely as an individual member must not be subject to any IPR
restrictions such as those typically required in employer agreements (again,
send feedback to ipr-member-review@lists.oasis-open.org if you think OASIS
should allow individual members subject to the necessary IPR waivers from
those the individual may be subject to IPR restrictions from.)

=Drummond