xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] RE: GCS chars and star in XRI authority resolution

In retrospect I believe we erred in the 1.0 BNF in allowing what was then
dot (and is now star) after a GCS character. I believe a cleaner approach in
XRI 1.1 would be the following rationale:

1) All the GCS chars except "!" are "proxies" for "*", in that they default
to a reassignable subsegment.

2) Therefore, there is no need for * following a GCS character. It is
redundant - the equivalent of "**", which makes no sense.

3) Therefore the simplest rule, which eliminates any confusion and any
chance of false negatives in a equivalence comparision, is

GCS-authority    =  gcs-char [ "!" ] [ nz-segment ]

Also, to keep XRI resolution consistent, the GCS char would be treated
exactly the same as star in subsegment resolution, i.e., it would be
submitted as part of the string being resolved when resolving against a GCS
root. For example, when resolving "@foo*bar", the string submitted to the
"@" authority would be "@foo", and the string submitted to the "@foo"
authority would be "*bar".

=Drummond