xri message

Subject: [no subject]

1) Disallow them, OR
2) If a * null subsegment after a GCS character is allowed, it MUST NOT be
equivalent to the same string without the *.

Since the second would be very confusing, I'd recommend option 1. I believe
this is consistent with treating GCS characters as the XRI equivalent of
"//".

A second recommendation, which I believe would solve the problem wrt to XRI
resolution rules, is to define a single rule for the value passed by a
resolver to an XRI authority: it should be ***the subsegment value plus any
preceeding subsegment delimiters***.

This would eliminate any inconsistency between default reassignable
subsegments and explicit persistent subsegments.

Examples:

@foo			To the "@" authority, pass "foo"
@!foo			To the "@" authority, pass "!foo"
@foo*bar		To the "@foo" authority, pass "*bar"
@foo!bar		To the "@foo" authority, pass "!bar"

It's also consistent with the proposed XDI addressing rules, which operate
the same way only internal to XDI documents (i.e., they take over starting
with the XRI path.) For example:

/foo			From the XDI document root node, resolve "foo"
/!foo			From the XDI document root node, resolve "!foo"
/*foo			From the XDI document root node, resolve "*foo"
/*!foo		From the XDI document root node, resolve "*!foo"
/foo/bar		From the "/foo" node, resolve "bar"
/foo/!bar		From the "/foo" node, resolve "!bar"
/foo/*bar		From the "/foo" node, resolve "*bar"
/foo/*!bar		From the "/foo" node, resolve "*!bar"

=Drummond