xri message

Subject: Adding XDI as a service in XRIDs

Gabe et al:

In discussing XDI and XRI resolution with Loren and Dave at an overnight
last week, one obvious suggestion came up: with the XDI TC well on its way
to defining its first specs for "XRI Data Interchange", the XRI 2.0
Resolution spec should add "XDI" as a second standard service type alongside
"X2R". That way any service provider that supports XDI as a means of
interaction with a XRI-identified resource could indicate that in the XRID.

While that's pretty obvious, a related point occurred to me that may not be
so obvious: we should do the same thing for XRI Authorities. In other words,
XDI will also be a way to interact with some (perhaps many) XRI Authorities
to get the XDI equivalent of an XRID.

So this raises the need in the XRI 2.0 Resolution spec for the XRIAuthority
element of XRIDs to include a "Service" element just like the LocalAccess
element does. This way XRI Authorities that support XDI for XRI resolution
(or any other future XRI resolution protocol, such as DNS/XRI) could
advertise that fact to a resolver.

Make sense?

=Drummond