xri message

Subject: Timeline for XRI 2.0

Mary, Jamie:

On the XRI Editor's subcommittee call today, I took the action item to check
with you regarding the potential timeline for submitting the XRI 2.0
specifications for voting as an OASIS standard. With IESG approval last week
(after *4 years*!) of the new URI and IRI specifications
(ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3986.txt and
ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3987.txt respectively), the only other
specification on which XRI 2.0 has a dependency is SAML 2.0. And with SAML
2.0 now submitted for a vote, we can for the first time begin planning the
XRI 2.0 submission timeline.

I just want to confirm the TC's understanding of the following process and
ask a few clarifying questions:

1) If the SAML 2.0 specification is approved without negative votes at the
end of February, it will immediately become an OASIS standard. (We
understand there is an up-to-30 day waiting period if there are negative
votes.) Does that mean the XRI TC could being officially referencing SAML
2.0 and thus take a vote on XRI 2.0 as early as March 1? Or is there a
waiting period before we can officially reference the SAML 2.0 spec (for
example, before it is assigned the OASIS standard identifier we need to
reference it with)?

2) Once we approve XRI 2.0 as a Committee Draft, is there any waiting period
before we can start the 30 day public review period?

3) Given that a specification must be submitted by the 15th of the month, it
would appear that if the XRI TC approves XRI 2.0 as a Committee Draft in
early March, and begins the public review period immediately, the earliest
the TC could submit the specification for a vote as an OASIS standard would
be prior to April 15. In this case, if the application is complete, the
member review period could begin May 1, and member voting on May 15.

Have I missed anything? Are there any other factors we haven't mentioned
that we should be aware of?

Thanks for your help. We look forward very much to submitting XRI 2.0 for a
vote as an OASIS standard.

=Drummond
Drummond Reed
CTO, Cordance Corporation