xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Outline for XRI Primer

Drummond-
	I think we have to be very careful about emphasizing the
peristence angle too much, because XRI doesn't directly provide
persistence, but rather a syntactic construct to support a
administration/resolution infrastructure that provides persistence.
Another way to put this (and you've heard this before) is that the XRI
Spec doesn't provide persistence -- the organizations providing
registration and caretaking services provide persistence. And, so while
persistent identifiers may have been a major driving factor, I don't
think its fair to say that XRI supports "persistence" out of the box any
more than your favorite URN scheme.
	Emphasizing persistence by putting it first I think affects the
credibility of what we are saying by suggesting it's the most valuable
feature of XRI, when in fact all we are delivering is *support* for a
persistent identifier management scenario. I think the other features
are far more unique and should receive more emphasis by being placed
before persistence on the list.
	Also, while XRI doesn't deliver more than IRI does, w/r/t i18n,
I would have thought its something we'd emphasize on the feature list
since so few people are aware of IRI yet.
	Finally, as an example of XRI usage, we may also want to
consider something like Purple Numbers, a "paragraph-id" marking system
for web content developed by Eugene Eric Kim (see [1]). I think we need
some other good example besides XDI and dictionaries (though both are
great).

	-Gabe

[1] http://planetwork.blueoxen.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?PurpleNumbersAndXri