xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Homographic attacks

This is already covered to some degree in section 3.5 of Syntax. Can you
take a look at that section and see what's missing?

-----Original Message-----
From: Drummond Reed [mailto:drummond.reed@cordance.net]
Sent: Monday, February 21, 2005 5:05 PM
To: xri@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: 'Adam C. Engst'; glenn@glennf.com
Subject: [xri] Homographic attacks

Peter et al:

As phishing continues on the rise, there is an excellent series of
articles
in TidBITs by Glenn Fleishman about "homograph" attacks where the
attacker
registers an international domain name that is - even to the trained eye
-
undistinguishable from the real thing due to the fact that it uses
Unicode
characters that are appear extremely similar to ASCII characters.

It's become serious enough that they are warning Firefox users to
disable
IDN until Firefox comes up with a fix.

I'm copying Adam and Glenn so they know that this is something the XRI
TC is
interested in helping prevent with XRIs. (Adam, Glenn, if you want to
reply
with more info, you can reply back to me and I'll forward to the list.)

Peter, I think we should mention this in the Security Considerations
section
of XRI Syntax.

=Drummond

the OASIS TC), go to