xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] tag for local scope comment

After looking at the clarification posted on the wiki, I'm still
wondering why a new metadata tag is needed for this purpose.  Wouldn't
using the + namespace (which is already supported in the specs) be
sufficient?  E.g., identifier segments (or subsegments) could be tagged
as follows (to draw from the examples on the wiki page):

  (+x)/123456
  (+oid)/1234-5679-9999
  (+dn)/some-distinguished-name-syntax

Etc.

What are the requirements that are leading to an addition to the spec
for this issue?

Mike