xri message

Subject: Thoughts about process for getting to cd02

All,

It's becoming clear to me that we've skipped a very important step in
going from cd01 to cd02.  We really need to have all of the requirements
for the various issues stated.  I'm finding that every time we discuss
an issue, additional unstated requirements are uncovered.  While we can
review proposals, we can't understand their context or the feasability
of alternative solutions without understanding *all* of the requirements
behind each issue.

I don't belive that we can come to consensus on the majority of the
proposals without seeing the requirements for them.  My preference is
that for each issue, requirements are posted and then discussed on the
list.  That will let us agree, as a TC, as to which requirements are
ones that we want to tackle in cd02.  After that agreement, we can work
on proposals for fitting those agreed upon requirements into the XRI
architecture and specifications.

While this might take some time and effort, it will ultimately give us a
better spec -- and one that satisfies the needs of the TC members.

Mike