xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Thoughts about process for getting to cd02

Gabe,

In your message below, you said:

"To repeat, the only reasons I see for change at this point are: 1) we
made a mistake in CD-01 that breaks functionality (errata), 2) we forgot
to meet a requirement discussed *before* CD-01 (we agreed to do
something in CD-01 but didn't) 3) we have a new/changed requirement
since CD-01 that we absolutely need to meet for adoption (and this is a
high bar - this is not "nice to haves" - the XRI-in-HTTP-URIs proposal
might fall into this category)."

You left two items out of your list that I believe are a major motivation
for many of us contributing to these proposals:

4) We have discovered through implementation experience that there is a
*significantly* simpler or better way of meeting the original and/or new
requirements that we believe will *significantly* affect adoption.

5) We have recognized that there are aspects of our existing design/spec
that would be all-but-impossible to change once adoption on a wide scale
begins, and which if changed now we believe will *significantly* affect the
future usability/scalability/extensibility of XRI infrastructure.

The changes to XRI syntax that we underwent in going from 1.0 to 2.0
illustrate both of these criteria in action. To wit:

* The change we made from our "internally-generated ABNF" in XRI 1.0 to an
ABNF built completley on top of RFC 3986/3987 ABNF is an example of the
first criteria.

* The shift we made in XRI subsegment delimiter characters is an example of
the second criteria.

Of course, applying either of these criteria to justify a change requires
judgement calls on the part of all of us on the TC in our roles as
architects, designers, implementers, vendors, and customers of the
specification. There is no black or white and only shades of gray. That is
why there is bound to be major discussion about any change motivated by
these criteria. (There certainly was in the move from XRI 1.0 to XRI 2.0
syntax.)

However since I believe it is these two criteria that motivate a number of
the revision proposals, I think it is very important that we discuss and
acknowledge these reasons for a change.

To be even specific, here is a list of the issues that I believe are
significantly motivated by at least one of these two criteria:

SYNTAX (http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/Xri2Cd02/SyntaxChanges)
I2: ABNF/Allow Empty Path Segments
I3: ABNF/Add HXRI and QXRI
I4: XRI Normalization
I5: XRI Length Limitations
I6: Persistent XRI Best Practice

RESOLUTION (http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/Xri2Cd02/ResolutionChanges)
I1: Priority Attribute in XRIDs
I3: XRI Redirect Handling
I7: Refactoring for Normative Content
I8: Refactoring for Local and Proxy Resolution
I9: Refactoring $res Namespace
I10: Refactoring XRID Schema

(I don't think any of the current Metadata issues/proposals fall under these
criteria.)

=Drummond