xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Update to Metadata Issue #1: Add $t Tag for Identifier Metadata

Agreed that we need to take it to the phone. If the first two items go
reasonably quickly, we should be able to have to discuss this.

BTW, I like your examples below, and your idea of "$t*uri" being able to
describe any existing URI scheme is brilliant.

=Drummond

-----Original Message-----
From: Wachob, Gabe [mailto:gwachob@visa.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2005 5:36 PM
To: Drummond Reed; xri@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: RE: [xri] Update to Metadata Issue #1: Add $t Tag for Identifier
Metadata

Drummond-

This back and forth isn't clearing much up for me. Having a concrete
example or two about whats missing in the current syntax would help.

As for the assertion that $t isn't just for
as-yet-undefined-URI-schemes, if you are saying that $t namespaces are
more valuable because they are resolvable, and therefore reusing URI
schemes is suboptimal, then why can't you specify the following
identifiers, each of which resolves to something:

$t*oid
$t*ip
$t*uri*mailto
$t*uri*http

This seems to address all the use cases about having a dictionary of
types. And for reusing URIs, you don't have to reinvent syntax - I still
don't see why (mailto:gwachob@wachob.com) is inferior to
($t*mailto*gwachob%40wachob.com).

> I only bring it up because I'm slowly becoming convinced that
> XRI does not
> just provide backwards compatability with existing
> identifiers expressed in
> URI schemes, but a richer way to describe/use any type of
> identifier at the
> XRI level. This includes new types of identifiers that may
> have special
> privacy, security, or crypto characteristics. That's why a $t
> spec is making
> more and more sense to me.

Again, though, if you want to add things to a URI cross reference, you
can do (as a wild stab in the dark since I don't really know what
specifically you are thinking about):

(mailto:gwachob@wachob.com)*($crypto*2312321321321)

> Another way to put the "big picture" use case for $t is this. If: a)
> company's like Boeing and consortia like NAC want to be able
> to adopt XRI as
> a standard "identifier representation language" that helps
> them solve the
> problem of identifier interoperability within and between
> enterprises, and
> b) if one of the requirements of such a language is that they
> be able to
> express a standard dictionary of identifier types, then they
> need to be able
> to express all identifiers they need to deal with consistently in that
> dictionary format.

I think the $t*uri*<uri scheme> satisfies this requirement, at least as
I understand it. But I honestly don't really understand what
"consistently" means, and I don't understand what "interoperability"
means in this context.

> So from the standpoint of that use case, it might not matter
> if there is an
> existing URI scheme for an identifier type. That's not the
> "language" they
> need to standardize on. They need a common way to express
> (and combine, and
> compare) all these identifier types, and for that they need
> to express them
> all in a common way.

Yes, its called XRI!

More specifically, I really am not seeing where the current
specification (without the $t namespace) is deficient in this regard. I
am waiting to see one use case to clear this up for me... But I haven't
seen it yet.

> The analogy that DaveM has used several times is that if this
> were XML and
> it was a data interoperability problem, what would be needed
> is agreement
> not just to use XML, but a common set of schemas. Instead
> what we have here
> is an identifier interoperabilty problem, the common
> "language" is XRI, and
> the common "schema" (dictionary) needed for interoperability
> of a number of
> existing (and future) identifier types is the $t spec.
>
> I hope that perspective helps.

I'm not seeing the analogy here. We'll have to discuss this on the
phone, I guess.

  -Gabe