xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Comments on XRI Syntax Draft 10

XRI TC Members and Observers:

The final Working Draft (10b) of XRI Syntax 2.0 has been posted at the following links in preparation for tomorrow's vote:

 * PDF: http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/14896/xri-syntax-V2.0-wd-10b.pdf

 * Word: http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/14895/xri-syntax-V2.0-wd-10b.doc

Gabe's were the only additional comments received since Working Draft 10. Below I've noted the disposition of each of his comments (see ### sections).

See the following message for tomorrow's call time and agenda.

=Drummond

From: Wachob, Gabe [mailto:gwachob@visa.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 4:08 PM
To: xri@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [xri] Comments on XRI Syntax Draft 10

Dave & Drummond-

    I looked through the -10 version with a focus on areas that were changed and had just a very few bits of feedback

Line 139 - the word "community" is not used before this line. I'd just say "..to be used to specify an XRI authority" (or "XRI root authority").

### Changed to your first suggestion.

Line 266 - The URL should probably point to the http://docs.oasis-open.org/xri/xri/V2.0 URL

### Changed by removing the URL altogether, since we don't in fact have a URL to point to, thus it might be deceptive to do otherwise.

Line 325 - (also Line 343 - table 1) - I think the word "authority" is being used a little sloppily here. In IRI & URI specs, "authority" means a syntactic construct - a BNF production. In Table 1, the descriptions of the various GCS's talks about authorities as organizations who exert control. I think its better to stick to the IRI/URI definition. I'd change the text in the tables to the following (text changes apply to the "Establishes Global Context For" column:

For =: Identifiers for whom the authority is controlled by an individual person

For @: Identifiers for whom the authority is controlled by an organization.

For +: Identifiers for whom there is no centralized control of the authority, or for whom the authority is controlled by general use. For example, generic dictionary concepts, "tags", etc.

For $: Identifiers for whom the authority is controllede by a specification from a standards body. For example, other ...

### Incorporated your new language, with slight editing for continuity, in the table.

Line 781 - RFC 4234 has just been published (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4234.txt) which obsoletes RFC 2234 - This updates the ABNF specification. I don't know if we want to go there - I don't know what changes are in 4234 and whether they affect our BNF. If anyone is up for *heroic* effort, they could look at RFC 4234 and see if we can just reference it instead of RFC 2234...

### Kept the same because DaveM did the "heroic" effort and recommended as follows:

"Although it looks perfectly safe, I think I’d prefer to stick with 2234. Not a strong preference, though. If the change log is correct, there’s essentially no difference between the two:

Changes since [RFC2234]:

      In Section 3.7, the phrase: "That is, exactly <N> occurrences of
      <element>." was corrected to: "That is, exactly <n> occurrences of
      <element>."

      Some continuation comment lines needed to be corrected to begin
      with comment character (";").