xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Minutes: 11/4 XRI TC Telecon

Nick,

Thanks for this very cogent analysis about the "xri." syntax for HXRIs. Note
that this syntax that has now been incorporated into Working Draft 09
(http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xri/download.php/15310/xri-res
olution-V2.0-wd-09.pdf).

Let me share a few additional perspectives/requirements that went into this
choice.

First, HXRI syntax is intended to be a intermediate measure to assist user
agents (like browsers) that do not natively understand XRIs. As you say,
HXRIs and HTTP proxy resolvers are really a way to "tunnel" XRIs through
HTTP URIs. So we don't feel the need to strongly encourage the deployment of
lots and lots of HTTP proxy resolvers, which is why fairly restrictive
domain name-based syntax seems an acceptable choice.

Second, the "xri." syntax (plus the lack of escaping, below) fulfills the
requirement we have for HXRIs to be easy for ordinary users to type.

Third, by restricting the prefix semantics to the domain name, we can
specify that the entire local part is the QXRI (query XRI), and avoid any
special escaping at all. In other words, any HTTP proxy resolver at an
"xri." domain name is dedicated to XRI processing.

Fourth, as you point out, as unnecessary as it is, "www." has become a
widely understood convention, with real behavior attached in many client
applications (including the editor I'm using to write this email.) So the
"xri." syntax simply takes advantage of that same pattern.

I hope this helps. I encourage you to take a look at the HXRI syntax and
proxy resolution functionality in the context of Working Draft 09 and share
your further thoughts.

Best,

=Drummond