xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] XRI Resolution 2.0 Draft 09 comments

+1 on both counts. I strongly agree we should choose one regex and choosing the same as NAPTR makes sense.

You've got the pen on Working Draft 10. Do you want to go ahead and start making these edits?

=Drummond

From: Wachob, Gabe [mailto:gwachob@visa.com]
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2005 10:27 AM
To: Tan, William; xri@lists.oasis-open.org

1. xrd:XRD/xrd:Service/xrd:Pattern – what flavor of regular expression should the value be (perl-compatible, posix, etc.)? Is the full power of regexp really required, why not just simple string comparison or prefix matching?

My suggestion is that we use the regex used in NAPTR (RFC 3402 and 3403) - this is basically posix regular expression and is broadly supported and is mostly a "greatest common denominator" syntax. I think the NAPTR/DDDS people had the same issue in deciding a regex syntax and chose wisely.

4. Section 2.8 Versioning - if the version attribute is optional, implementations may take the shortcut to ignore its presence thereby defeating the purpose of versioning. A newer version may not change the schema but we may want the possibility of modifying the semantics of the elements or attributes. We may not have that choice should implementations do not respect version information.

The idea here is that lack of a version attribute means "2.0" (where we are today). *Any* processor would have to make that assumption. I think you are arguing that by making it required, you force implementers to implement parsing of this attribute from day one. Thats fine with me.

    -Gabe