xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Decision on Ref "backtracking" issue

IMO, you are trying a REF to try to locate either a sub-segment, for
authority resolution, or a service, for service selection.  If you try a
REF and that XRD does not have it but does have other REFs then those
REFs should not be followed.  This is a simple case of not found.

So if you are trying to resolve =GabeW*coworker*Mike and the coworker
XRD has no $res*authority services but does have REFs then those
references should be followed.  If those references do not know anything
about *Mike then a 'not found' should be returned on *Mike.

I-Name:  =les.chasen

-----Original Message-----
From: Wachob, Gabe [mailto:gwachob@visa.com]
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 1:07 PM
To: drummond.reed@cordance.net; xri@lists.oasis-open.org

I'm not sure that the way #2 is specified, its any different than #3.

If I "try" a REF, and in resolving the resulting XRI, I end up with a
set of REFS, am I required to try that set of REFs that result from
resolving the XRI I got from choosing the first REF?

Specifically:

Lets say =GabeW*coworker resolves to refs that point to =Mike and =Dave,
and I choose =Mike and =Mike ends up with a ref to =SecretAgent and
=PublicAgent.

Lets say resolution of =SecretAgent fails.

What do I do? Is that a failure that requires me to go back to =Dave? Or
should I try =PublicAgent? What happens if =PublicAgent fails?

Note that I think the wording of #2 and #3 both require me to go back to
=Dave is =SecretAgent and =PublicAgent fail. This is still
backtracking... Right?

	-Gabe