xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Question: Is there a standard way to compose an identifier for the public key of an object?

Hmmm.  This is where we need to have a better formatting client :-)

My responses below:

<NAT>
I need to think this deeper, and catch up with XDI :-)
</NAT>

> <MARTY>
> <BASE64-encoded-public-key> is just an identifier; it
> identifiers the holder of the corresponding private key. It
> happens to have some other interesting characteristics that
> an application can recognize because of the metadata $t*pk.
> Public key is quite interesting as an identifier, because it
> is cryptographically bound to the appropriate individual - we
> don't have to do any identifier mapping!
> </MARTY>

<NAT>
This is fascinating. This just did not occur to me.
Indeed, public key should be very useful, though it may become
very long.

To make it more consice,  we could use md5 or sha1 hash
of the public key as an identifier for the shorter version of it.
</NAT>

> <NAT>
> What I was talking about was a standard way to address the
> public key of an identity/entity. It is illustrated in
> Drummond's post that
> =sakimura/(+public.key) would be one way of doing it.
> What I was suggesting was that it would be nice to have a
> standard way to express such so that an application can fetch
> the public key of an entity without other knowledge.
>
> For the resolution of it, the service end point may return
> variouls protocol uris. LDAP is one way, but it could be
> http/https/ftp/gopher/smtp/tftp etc. The resolution process
> just returns the uri appropreate for the protocol of the
> client application that points to the public key.
> </NAT>
>
> <DRUMMOND>
> Agreed, but isn't there one more step in this process, namely
> specification of the format of the returned data? That's what
> XDI is all about -- standardizing both the request format
> (XRI syntax), the bootstrap dictionary (the XDI service
> dictionary) and the response format (XDI documents).
>
> The "slippery slope" that the XRI TC would be going down once
> it moved into the data dictionary space would be specifying
> both the service type for requesting the data identified by
> the dictionary XRI and the data interchange format in which
> it would be returned.
>
> It seems like that might be closer to the province of the XDI
> TC, but then, I might be biased ;-) </DRUMMOND>
>
> <MARTY>
> I recognize that service points could be LDAP or any other
> protocol; however, I'm a proponent of LDAP, so I tend to use
> it in my examples. I haven't followed the resolution
> discussions very closely, so maybe there are capabilities I
> don't know about -- but the expectation that "The resolution
> process just returns the uri appropriate for the protocol of
> the client application..." seems too difficult for me. How
> would the resolution process know which protocol(s) the
> client can use?
> If the client somehow asks for an LDAP service point, what
> should resolution do if the XRD only has http service point?
> I think the processing of the XRD should be left to the client.
> </MARTY>

<NAT>
Neither have I been following closely enough on the resolution,
but I have an impression that the choice will be made by the
client from the list of URIs that XRD returns.

Client being capable of expressing what transport type and
media type it expects to the server so that the server can
make the pre-selection is nice, but I do not know if such
thing is in the spec.
</NAT>