xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Comments on WD10ED05

I strongly agree that this material is needed SOMEWHERE. However we seem to
be rehashing the basic premise we agreed to last fall that the main spec
should only have normative text, and that non-normative examples should be
added only where absolutely necessary for clarity (which is very different
than CD01).

That's why we proposed to have the Implementer's Guide. Are we still going
to do that? I agree with Gabe's suggestion that we don't want to cite a
non-normative doc we haven't even written yet, but is someone going to step
up and write it?

If we are going to add extensive examples to the spec itself, I'd strongly
suggest we do them in an Appendix where we can clearly mark them as
non-normative. I'd also suggest that if at all possible they serve the dual
purpose of being the actual test cases for interoperability.

Another option is that we publish the examples in a separate
interoperability test case document.

In regards to the "resolution architecture" section, I agree that something
a little more expanded than what we have makes sense. So far we've just been
trying to concentrate on normative content so we could get to interoperable
implementations, and now looking at wording/presentation issues is starting
to become relevant.

I'm too close to the spec at this point to do a good job with a "resolution
architecture" section. Is anyone willing to take a first crack at it (even
if rough - I'm happy to help do polishing/wordsmithing.)

All of these are issues I'll put on the agenda for tomorrow's 4PM Pacific
call.

=Drummond