xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Example local resolver API and corresponding proxy resolver output.

Comments below marked with ##### marks.

I-Name:  =les.chasen

-----Original Message-----
From: Drummond Reed [mailto:drummond.reed@cordance.net]
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2006 1:56 AM
To: xri@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: 'Andy Dale'
Subject: RE: [xri] Example local resolver API and corresponding proxy
resolver output.

Les,

1) I agree that it might make sense to return the entire XRD (with the
addition of the new URI elements as describe below) but with only the
*matched* Service elements. This is because Service selection has
already
happened, so you are saving the consuming application the job of needing
select them again. However there may be more than one, and this lets the
consuming application have the option of using the others.

Steve, what do you think of this, i.e., sepResolve returning "all of XRD
less non-matching SEPs"?

###########
[Chasen, Les] I was not referring to the contents of the XRD.  I only
meant to highlight that there are three out parameters one of which is
an XML service blob.  We could just have one out parameter that is the
XML XRD blob.  Just a suggestion, I do not have strong feelings one way
or the other.
############

2) There's a strong case for calling the URI element by the same name at
both the XRD level and the Service level. Besides the fact that it has
the
same contents (a URI), there are other uses for a URI element at the XRD
level. For example, a long time back (early in CD01 days) we discussed
returning a URI at the XRD level as one of the items of metadata an XRD
author could assert about a Resource. It would be the equivalent of
saying,
"the resource represented by the query XRI is at this URI".

[Chasen, Les] That's all fine and well but I thought it would be more
self describing to have another name since the resolver mucked with the
field.  The URI in the service block is pure while the one in the XRD
level is modified by the resolver.  I really do not have a strong
preference one way or the other.  Just highlighting a small area that
IMHO can be made more understandable.