xri message

Subject: Special notes about ED 09

XRI Resolution Editors and ALL TC Members:

I forgot to mention yesterday that there are two things all TC members
should review in Editor's Draft 09 of the XRI Resolution 2.0 Working Draft
10 spec posted yesterday:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/17217/xri-resolution-v2.0-
wd-10-ed-09.pdf

The first is section 1.1, "Overview of XRI Resolution Architecture". This is
new text/graphics developed to provide a short, clear high-level picture of
what's going on to orient readers to the rest of the spec. It would be
particularly helpful for XRI TC members who have not been steeped in the
months-long effort behind the Working Draft 10 spec to review this new text
and send in any feedback/suggestions about how it could be improved.

Secondly, a note about terminology. When writing section 1.1, I found myself
referring to the Wikipedia article about DNS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_name_service

This article -- and others I consulted -- use the term "recursing
nameserver" to refer to DNS nameservers who do lookups on behalf of
resolvers. I googled "recursing nameserver" and found it is indeed the
standard term of practice. By contrast when I googled for "lookahead
resolution" I found only references to our XRI TC documents on XRI
resolution.

Since I'm a strong believer in not inventing new terms for terms that
already exist -- especially when your intent is to promote understanding of
new technology -- I wrote section 1.1 using the term "recursing" instead of
"lookahead" and it worked fine. So I made the change throughout the spec --
what was "lookahead resolution" is now "recursing authority resolution".

Please let me know if you don't agree that this works better. (One less term
for the glossary ;-)

Again, even if you only have time to read section 1.1 and don't have time to
attend today's 4PM Pacific telecon, please DO send in any
feedback/suggestions about section 1.1 so that we can put them in the final
Working Draft 10 we'd like to publish tomorrow.

=Drummond