xri message

Subject: Incorporating Yadis into XRI Resolution Working Draft 11

XRI TC Members and Observers:

Most of you are aware that the XRI resolution document format, XRDS, was adopted late last year by the Yadis project (http://www.yadis.org) as their format for simple service discovery. After the Internet Identity Workshop two weeks ago (http://iiw.windley.com/wiki/Main_Page), at which there were several sessions on XRI, members of the Yadis community mentioned to Gabe and I that they were interested in Yadis becoming an “official” standard from a recognized standards body.

Since Yadis already uses a substantial part of the XRI Resolution 2.0 specification, they asked if the XRI TC would be interested in having it be incorporated as part of the spec.

Gabe and I subsequently reviewed the Yadis 1.0 specification (http://yadis.org/papers/yadis-v1.0.pdf) and agreed that it should fit cleanly as a section of the XRI Resolution 2.0 specification on obtaining XRDS documents from HTTP URIs.

At the OASIS Symposium last week we checked with Jamie Clark, OASIS Director of Standards Development, to see if there were any impediments to doing this, and he said that it should be very easy and straightforward, especially considering that several XRI TC members were contributors to Yadis.

So, in an email conversation yesterday between Gabe and myself and several of the principal contributors to Yadis, we concluded that we should proceed full steam ahead provided both communities were in support of this effort. Messages are going to both mailing lists today to request any further feedback. Provided that there are no major objections, a contribution will be made on behalf of the Yadis community and we will begin work ASAP on the integration of Yadis into Working Draft 11 of XRI Resolution 2.0 with the goal of completing the work no later than the start of the Berkman Identity Mashup on June 19 (http://www.identitymash-up.org/).

Please do post with any feedback you might have.

Best,

=Drummond (http://xri.net/=drummond.reed)