xri message

Subject: XRD Type and Path specification

Hi folks,

We do not seem to mention what normal form should the value of Type and Path elements be.

I would normally prefer XRI-normal form since there is no issue with XML, but because of the following reasons:

  1. Query is already defined to be in URI-normal form; and
  2. It may be easier to parse since we can simply index the slash character to strip off path segments without any knowledge of xrefs, though it is still necessary to parse xrefs in order to properly determine subsegment boundaries.

I suggest putting a SHOULD/MUST for URI-normal form.

Also, with regards to path matching rules, I’d like to clarify what I understand from the spec:.

E.g.

<Path>(+foo)</Path>

QXRI: xri://@a/+foo/bar

We try:

  1. +foo/bar => no match
  2. (+foo/bar) => no match
  3. +foo => no match
  4. (+foo) => match

QXRI: xri://@a/(+foo)/bar

We try:

  1. (+foo)/bar => no match
  2. ((+foo)/bar) => no match
  3. (+foo) => match

QXRI: xri://@a/(+foo/bar)

We try:

  1. (+foo/bar) => no match
  2. Since (+foo/bar) is already a xref we don’t add the optional parentheses

Are these processing steps correct?

=wil (http://xri.net/=wil)